Since 1924 The St Andrew’s Choral Scholarship has provided a rare and unique opportunity for young Australians to experience the benefits previously only available to children in the UK and Europe. As a ‘choral scholar’, the scholarship provides a boy to join a living international tradition in not only the oldest choir in Victoria, but also one of only three professional level choirs in the state (the others being St Patricks and St Pauls).
Are you eligible to apply?
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- A willingness to be a member of the St Andrew’s Choir
- A willingness to be fully involved in the Choir from the beginning of Term 1 until Christmas Day each year
Selection will be based on the following criteria:
- The results of a 20 minute audition conducted by the Choir Master
- A 40 minute music aptitude test conducted prior to the audition
- Ability to sight read
- Previous music and school reports
- An interview with the relevant Head of School
75% of tuition fees Choral Scholarships do not cover:
- The cost of books, stationery or uniforms
- Consolidated charges
- Discretionary charges such as overseas trips.
Treble and Alto singers: Boys entering Years 5 to 7 in 2019
Tenor and Bass Singers: Boys entering Years 8 to 12 in 2019.
Tenures vary but generally scholarship-holders are expected to complete their secondary education at BGS.
Choral Scholarship holders are required to:
- Learn an orchestral instrument by undertaking instrumental lessons at the School, as well as perform in the relevant School musical ensembles, at an appropriate level as directed.
- Contribute positively and enthusiastically to school life. Progress and contribution to school life are reviewed annually.
A Scholarship may be withdrawn if the Headmaster is not satisfied with the diligence or conduct of the holder. Failure to pay fees may also lead to withdrawal. The School reserves the right not to award any or all of the scholarships available. No boy may hold more than one scholarship.