A word from the Headmaster, Ross Featherston
Energy through creativity and the arts
Welcome back to the final term of 2016. I hope you and your family had a wonderful break. The term has started with energy and enthusiasm, much of which has come from two key moments in our calendar relating to creativity and boys expressing themselves: the Year 8 iDesign week and our Senior School Creative Arts Show.
I am always blown away by the work our Senior School boys produce as part of the CDT, VCD and/or Art subjects. The passion, time and care they put in – and the pride they have in exhibiting their works – is superb and is a testament to the boys and their teachers.
The same goes for iDesign. To witness what our Year 8 boys produce is astounding. Whether it’s a skate ramp, a computer built into a desk, a reconditioned motorbike, or an historical documentary about family, iDesign is a great example of a unique BGS program that enables the boys to develop the 21st Century skills they’ll need for many careers in the future. Please come along to support the boys at our exhibition and presentation evening this Thursday (public viewing is available from 5pm to 6.30pm).
All the best for a great term ahead.
From the Head of Junior School, Peter Tellefson
Welcome back to our final term of 2016. The year continues to fly by at a rapid pace. I hope you are well rested and managed a break from the weekly routine.
I would like to extend a special welcome to the following new boys and their families who commenced with us this term:
Michael Agius – ELC3 Wombat
Lile Yang – ELC3 Bilby
Charlie Denning – 1 Heath
Fred Denning – 1 Banksia
Harry Denning – 3 Wills
Jackson Zhao – 3 Wills
Charles Zhao – 3 Wills
Allen Gu – 3 Wills
Tuur Craps – 4 Cook
Jimmy Bian – 4 Bass
Toon Craps – 6 Resolution.
There are many advantages for boys belonging to an ELC to Year 12 School. I believe BGS’s transition experiences are excellent, particularly at the formal transition points of ELC4 to Prep and Year 6 to Year 7.
The Year 6 boys have made a number of visits to the Middle School during Terms 1, 2 and 3 , participating in a variety of different classes with our Year 6 staff and Year 7 staff. Next Tuesday, the Year 6 boys will spend the day at the Middle School and there is a Year 7 2017 Parent Information Evening on Wednesday 12 October commencing at 7pm. Whilst the Year 6 boys spend the day ‘across the road’, we look forward to welcoming the 2017 Year 3 to 6 boys who will spend the day with us at Wilson House.
Junior School achievements and reminders
- Prep to Year 6 House Athletics Carnival is tomorrow on the Crowther Oval. Competition will commence at 10am, and there will be a break allowing parents to sit and join their son for lunch at 12.30pm. Boys are to wear their Sport uniform and House polo shirt to School for the day. Please ensure boys have their BGS broad-brimmed hat and sunscreen as warm weather is forecast. There will be no Tuckshop orders; boys will need to bring lunch from home. The Carnival will conclude at approximately 3pm. Boys will not be dismissed from the Carnival and are expected to return to Wilson House. Click here for program details.
- All boys are now wearing their summer uniform. Wearing the broad-brimmed hat during recess and lunch will be compulsory from Week 2, Monday 10 October 2016. Boys should be locating their hat for the re-introduction of our ‘No Hat No Play’ Policy. Our Year 5/6 boys may wear their BGS cap on Wednesdays.
- The Year 5/6 APS Sport training commences in Week 2. Please check School Stream for further information.
- Best wishes to our Year 4 to 6 boys who are representing BGS in the Regional Athletics next Thursday.
- Details for the following activities/events are provided on the BGS School Stream app:
- Prep – Year 6 House Athletics Carnival
- Prep – Year 3 Camp Information
- Year 4 Young Warriors Camp.
- Thank you to the JPG and to Louise Pearson, Cindee Heath, Karen McIntyre and Brandy Lyons for their organisation of our End-of-Term-3 Sushi lunch.
Happy to be back in the ELC
It was a burst of excitement and energy as the doors opened on Tuesday to welcome back all of our ELC families. We really miss the boys over the holidays, however they quickly filled us in on their adventures over the break. This is certainly our most action-packed term, and a calendar will be sent home on School Stream shortly to let parents know of our special events and programs.
We have begun our transition program this week with our new ELC3 boys for 2017 spending sessions in the Bilby room on Wednesday mornings. Today we transitioned our current ELC3 boys into ELC4 during our morning programs. Over the next three weeks we will trial multiple combinations to work out the best educational groups for our boys. The ELC4 Prep transition sessions will begins on Thursday 27 October.
Next Tuesday our ELC will be visited by the Wild Action Show by Chris Humphreys. We have selected to see the Australian animals program where the boys will learn about native animals and their habitats, and get to hold, touch and look at a variety of creatures. We ask that the ELC4 boys arrive on time as their show will begin at 9am.
A reminder that we will begin to apply sunscreen again on the warm days and encourage that the boys arrive with sunscreen applied prior to entering. Hats are also needed in Term 4 with their summer uniform (although it felt like winter at the beginning of this week!).
Director of the Early Learning Centre
Please click here to view this week’s parenting tip: ‘Insights: Develop a resilience mindset’.
Family Fun Night
The Junior School Family Fun Night is on Friday 25 November 2016. It is going to be lots of fun for all the family, so make sure you save the date! Click here for the flyer. Further details to follow soon.
2016 Junior School Tea Towel or ELC Apron
The JPG is delighted to once again be running a BGS Junior School tea towel and ELC Apron fundraiser.
- Tea towel: Please click here to view the flyer. Place your orders by clicking here.
- ELC Apron: Please click here to view the flyer. Place your orders by clicking here.
BGS Swim towels: Get ready for the swim season – order your BGS swim towel by clicking here.
- Track pants size 10
- Tracksuit tops sizes 8 and 12
- Black fleecy track pants size 10