Headmaster's welcome

Thank you for taking the time to visit our Bequest page which highlights the power of bequests in enriching the future of our great School.

BGS has a proud history and today rightly takes its place as one of Australia’s leading boys schools. By including BGS in your Will, you can choose how your bequest will be directed. You may create a pathway for worthy boys to join BGS through our Scholarships Program; you may target your bequest to our Building Program or to a particular area of School activity such as Music, Sport or Drama; or you may enable the School to direct your bequest to an area of most need. Your bequest will make a significant difference; it is a legacy of which you can be justly proud.

Scholarship Fund

Michael Afanassiev (OB 13)

Michael Afanassiev (OB 2013)

Leaving a bequest to our Scholarship Fund is life-changing for worthy and talented boys who otherwise would not be able to attend BGS. Your bequest not only transforms the lives of future BGS scholarship boys but also enriches the diversity of the School.     

Expressions of thanks from our scholarship recipients:

“The Scholarship Fund is a great way to help the School grow by fostering its academic and sporting achievements, broadening its musical and artistic horizons, and culturally enriching each boy’s experiences.” Richard Bowen (OB 1987).

“My BGS scholarship changed my life. As well as wonderful experiences, it gave me the opportunity to enter a world that otherwise would have been closed off to me. Put simply, my scholarship has given me the best chance of success and for that I will be forever grateful.” Michael Afanassiev, Lawyer (OB 2013).

Building Fund

BGS wellbeing centre in Australian Design review

Brighton Grammar Wellbeing Centre

Since its inception in 1882, Brighton Grammar School has been determined to provide our boys and teachers with the best possible learning environments. Recently, the School has benefited from the philanthropic support of our community enabling the construction of the Secondary School Library Resource Building, the Urwin Learning Centre, the Wellbeing Centre, and Annandale.

Including the Building Fund in your Will continues Dr Crowther’s proud resolve and enables the School to confidently plan for the future. Your support guarantees that future.

Early in 2020 the School embarked on its most ambitious project, the building of our Centre for Science, Creativity and Entrepreneurship – for BGS boys, this is their future and your opportunity to share in that future.

Other ways of directing your bequest

There are many options available to you such as leaving your bequest to a specific sporting, academic or cultural activity.

Recently bequests have been left specifically to enhance Drama and Music, whilst a former First VIII oarsman has left his bequest to Rowing. Other specific bequests have been to provide scholarships for indigenous boys, for boys from single parent families, or boys with disabilities. Others have left it up to the School to choose an area of most need.

The School acknowledges your generosity and your right to direct your bequest to an area of your particular interest.

Establishing an Endowment

To establish an Endowment named in your memory or in the memory of a loved one, your bequest is invested under the umbrella of the Brighton Grammar School Endowment Fund. The capital remains untouched in perpetuity and the interest will fund the pre-designated purpose of your choice.

Depending on the specific terms of your Will, your gift will be disbursed in keeping with your wishes, and will be held in the School’s Endowment Fund to provide long-term capital growth as well as a stable annual income stream in perpetuity. The principal and the interest will be directed solely to the specific terms of your will and will not be utilised for any other purpose.

Monies received are invested with professional fund managers by the Fund’s investment sub-committee. While your gift will be directed according to your wishes, it is important to note that investment decisions are at the discretion of the School.

Investing in BGS Values

Our School’s four core values underpin everything we do as a community:

Passion – for teaching and learning
Respect – for people and everything around us
Integrity – in behaviour and decision making
Accountability – for our actions, contributions and achievements.

Our Staff are special: they have chosen to work in a boys school and they do so with enthusiasm and expertise. They are passionate about developing, inspiring and guiding our boys on their journey to manhood. Every stage of a boy’s journey is designed to bring out his best.

No wonder every boy feels he is appreciated, belongs, and is well-known by the Staff.  

Your Invitation to join the Sequamur Society

In 2008 the School established the Sequamur Society to honour and thank in their lifetime those members of our BGS community who have confirmed their intention to include BGS in their Wills.

The Sequamur Society, over 100 members, is a wonderful mix of Old Boys, past and present parents, and present and former members of Staff, ensuring that future generations of Brighton Grammarians will enjoy an exceptional education.

The Sequamur Society will always have a very special place in the life of our School. Members are invited to special School events as well as the annual Sequamur Society function attended by the Headmaster and members of School Council.

“Each year it is my pleasure to attend the annual Sequamur Society Cocktail Party to thank our members for their generosity and affection for the School. This is a special occasion, meeting with such a diverse section of our community – Old Boys, current and former parents and Staff, who are so passionate about the School; there is such a unifying enthusiasm for the School that binds this wonderful group together.” Ross Featherston

2017 SS Cocktail Party Graeme Templeton, Peter Toms, Geoff McCalman and Kim Ellis

Members of the Sequamur Society look forward to welcoming you and sharing with you their passion for providing future BGS boys with the very best educational opportunities so they are equipped with the skills, the mindsets and the endeavour to succeed in a complex, uncertain but exciting future.

Members of our community have joined the Sequamur Society by including BGS in their Wills. 

Tino Marget (OB 1968) father of Luke (OB 1995) and Tim (OB 1993 )

It has been so encouraging to see the School’s development in recent years brought about by the generous financial support of past and current parents, Old Boys and others. I know that similar support will always be needed to further enhance the educational experiences of our boys. With our support, Brighton Grammar will continue to prosper into the future.

Maggie Lynch, member of Staff, and Frank Lynch, former member of Council, parents of Simon (OB 1993), Adrian (OB1994), Andrew (OB 2007)

We have had three boys who attended Brighton Grammar over a period on 19 consecutive years, 1989-2007.During those years great changes were made at School, thanks to the generosity of donors. As parents of three boys and a girl, we were stretched to make significant donations, so instead decided to leave something more substantial in our Wills.  

Tim Renouf (OB 1974)

I am so grateful for attending BGS from 1967-74, a Christian-based school that provided guidance, encouragement and discipline that carry-through all my life. My bequest is motivated by my gratitude for my education and my desire to ensure that other young men will have the opportunity to experience a BGS education.

We have collated some frequently asked questions 

• Suggested wording for your bequest

When leaving a gift in your Will to the School, it is strongly advised to do so in consultation with your solicitor particularly If your bequest is very specific eg ‘a scholarship for an indigenous student’ or ‘to fund a drama production’.

However, the following wording may be of assistance:

Bequest to specific fund I GIVE [my whole estate] or [the residue of my estate] or [X% of the residue of my estate] or [the sum of $…… to [Brighton Grammar School Foundation Building Fund] or [Brighton Grammar School Scholarship Fund] or [Brighton Grammar School Foundation Endowment Fund] of 90 Outer Crescent Brighton Vic 3186. I DECLARE that the receipt of the Treasurer or other authorised officer for the time being of Brighton Grammar School Foundation shall be a sufficient discharge to my trustees who shall not be responsible to see the application of the gift.

Unrestricted Bequest to the Brighton Grammar School FoundationI GIVE [my whole estate] or [the residue of my estate] or [X% of the residue of my estate] or [the sum of $….. to Brighton Grammar School Foundation 90 Outer Crescent Brighton Vic 3186. I DECLARE that the receipt of the Treasurer or other authorised officer for the time being of Brighton Grammar School Foundation shall be a sufficient discharge to my trustees who shall not be responsible to see the application of the gift.

• How is the Brighton Grammar School Endowment fund managed?

Depending on the specific terms of your Will, your gift will either be disbursed in keeping with your wishes, or in the absence of any specific direction, it will be held in the School’s Endowment Fund to provide long-term capital growth as well as a stable annual income stream in perpetuity. Monies received are invested with professional fund managers by the Fund’s investment sub-committee. While your gift will be managed according to your wishes, it is important to note that investment decisions are at the discretion of the School.

• I’m 45 – why is it important to have a Will now?

Your Will is amongst the most important documents that you will write. Yet 40% of Australian adults do not have a Will and risk that on death their estate will not be distributed as they would have wished. Regardless of age or the size of your estate, it represents at this point of time your life’s achievements and ought to be disbursed according to what you would really want.

• Whom should I consult to write my Will?

It is important to consult a solicitor when writing your Will. This will ensure that you observe all the necessary legal requirements so that your estate is appropriately disbursed according to your wishes. From time to time, legal regulations relating to both Wills inclusion and exclusion are modified and your solicitor will be able to offer advice on such modifications.

Alternatively, Gathered Here, a free online Will writing service, has provided Brighton Grammar School with the opportunity to write your Will for free, with free and unlimited updates of your Will for life. When considering your bequest, there is no obligation to utilise this service.

When considering leaving a bequest to BGS, please contact Peter Toms so the School can express its appreciation for your generosity.

Peter‘s contact details: (03) 8591 2274; tomsp@brightongrammar.vic.edu.au

Visit Gathered Here, a free online Will writing service: https://wills.gatheredhere.com.au/c/bgs

• Is the School really interested in receiving a modest bequest?

One of the problems confronting a bequest program is the notion that every bequest has to involve ‘mega’ dollars which can be most off-putting to those considering including the School in their Will. Yes, the School is grateful for some very substantial bequests; however, the School celebrates the generosity of all who leave a gift to the School no matter the amount. Many of our bequests are $10,000 or less; it is amazing what these gifts can achieve.

• When including BGS in my Will, must I inform the School?

No, but by informing the School, the School has the opportunity to thank you in your lifetime and ensure that you are aware of the various options available when leaving a gift to the School. Also, you will be invited to join the Sequamur Society; however, the School will always keep your bequest in confidence if this is your wish.

• What assets can I pass on to the School?

There are various ways that you may gift your possessions and assets including leaving: a specific sum of money; a percentage of your estate; the residue of your estate after family and other interests have been provided for; specific property, pieces of art, shares or insurance policies; and family memorabilia.

• Does the School encourage bequests to support indigenous scholarships?

Yes, the School certainly encourages bequests directed to fund indigenous scholarships. In 2019 our first indigenous scholarship boy commenced at BGS and, with further community support, the School looks forward to increasing opportunities for indigenous boys to attend BGS.

• When is it necessary to rewrite my Will?

Your relationships can change and may affect how your estate will be distributed. You should make a new Will if you or your children get married, divorced or separated, or have children or grandchildren; If you form a de facto relationship; if you buy or receive a significant asset or investment; if you become involved in a new business, company or trust; if one or more of the beneficiaries or executors named in your Will dies.

• When can I change my Will?

You can change your Will as often as you like; making a new Will cancels your previous Will.   To make minor changes, you can amend your Will by adding a codicil. However, with word processing it may be convenient to simply include your amendment in your previous Will and reprint.                                                                                         

• Why should I leave a bequest to BGS?

Bequests are our most effective means of guaranteeing the School’s future. BGS is totally dependent on the generosity of its community to fund buildings, upgrade facilities and provide scholarships. Your bequest, whether motivated by gratitude for past schooling or confidence in the quality and uniqueness of BGS, ensures an exceptional education for our boys in the future.

Brighton Grammar School thanks you for including a gift in your Will to BGS. No matter the size of your gift or the type of your gift or how you wish your gift to be directed, your gift will be much appreciated and will enhance the education of future Brighton Grammarians.

Meliora Sequamur.