Be part of our swim program offering the best in aquatic disciplines, fitness and fun in our indoor facility.
BGS Swim is an expertly designed swim program aimed for children 4 years and older.
The program is appropriate for children of all abilities from beginners, intermediate swimmers to improve swim technique through to competitive squad levels.
Weekly sessions (specifically designed to assist your child’s swim performance).
- Sessions will be held Tuesday to Friday after school hours
- Commencing in week 1 from Tuesday 20 April and run throughout Term 2
- Exclusive offer to BGS boys and their siblings
In Term 2 BGS Swim also offers students a 9-week private lesson program. This is an ideal program for those who want extra support with their swimming as the lessons are tailored for the individual student.
The 9-week program, of 30 minute one on one private lessons with our fantastic BGS Swim teachers, starts on Tuesday 20 April on either Wednesday or Friday, with lessons available from 3.45-5.45pm. Private lessons run on a term schedule so the cost for the 9-week program is $650, due prior to the first lesson.
* Exclusive offer to BGS boys and siblings, register your interest today on the form below so you don’t miss out.
* Fees calculated on the number of weeks in a term and must be paid in advance.
* Refunds will be processed upon request in writing. A flat $10 administration fee will be charged for all refunds.
BGS Swim Programs
Focus on good quality basic stroke development across freestyle and backstroke. We also begin practising breaststroke kick and, most importantly, dolphin kick. Kick is the fundamental basis of all swimming and having a solid grounding in all the four kicks is paramount to the development of the swimmer. A teacher to student ratio of 1:4/5 is typical in these levels.
- Demonstrate a safe entry into the water.
- Confidently submerge face underwater and blow bubbles
- Perform 5 metres torpedo kick on front and back. Must start with strong push from the wall.
- From a push, perform 5 metres freestyle, unaided.
- From a push perform 5 metres backstroke, unaided.
- Demonstrate ability to hold the side/lanerope in the pool, raise arm and call for help.
- Perform a back float for 15 seconds, confidently and unaided.
- Perform 10 metres freestyle, with side breathing.
- Perform 10 metres backstroke, staying on the back the entire time.
- Demonstrate 5 metres of dolphin kick starting submerged.
- Demonstrate development of correct breastroke kick.
- Demonstrate a correct kneeling dive.
- Be taught appropriate skills on water safety at the pool and beach.
- Tread water for 15 seconds, then swim confidently to the edge.
Bringing together technique, timing, and the beginnings of technical racing skills such as starts, turns and finishes. Swimmers in this level are encouraged to commence grass-roots level racing in a controlled and fun environment. A teacher to student ratio of 1:5/6 is typical in these levels.
- Perform 25 metres freestyle from the wall and using dolphin kick prior to swimming.
- Perform 25 metres backstroke from the wall, using dolphin kick prior to swimming, staying on the back the entire time.
- Demonstrate correct breaststroke. Indicating order of pull, breathe, kick.
- Demonstrate 10 metres of dolphin kick.
- Demonstrate a correct racing start. Preferably from the block.
- Perform 25 metres survival backstroke.
- Tread water for 30 seconds, then swim confidently to the edge.
- Answer appropriate questions on water safety at the pool and beach.
- Perform 50 metres freestyle from the wall and using dolphin kick prior to swimming.
- Perform 50 metres backstroke from the wall, using dolphin kick prior to swimming, staying on the back the entire time.
- Perform 25 metres breaststroke using breaststroke pullout from wall prior to swimming.
- Perform a correct race start, with effective breakout and 10-metre sprint.
- Demonstrate 2 beat kick butterfly.
- Demonstrate 25m dolphin kick.
- Demonstrate a correct reach rescue, giving clear instructions to patient.
- Tread water for 1 minute, then swim confidently to the edge.
- Answer appropriate questions on water safety at the pool and beach.
These levels are planned to develop the competitive swimmer. A combination of skills, fitness, knowledge and enjoyment are designed into the program to allow the swimmers to develop fully as competitive athletes. A teacher to student ratio of 1:10 is typical in these levels.
- Perform 100 metres freestyle from a dive, using dolphin kick prior to swimming.
- Perform 100 metres backstroke from a backstroke start, using dolphin kick prior to swimming, staying on the back the entire time.
- Perform 50 metres breaststroke from a dive, using breaststroke turns and pullouts underwater.
- Perform 25 metres butterfly from a dive using dolphin kick prior to swimming.
- Correctly demonstrate the three individual medley turns.
- Demonstrate a correct throw rescue, giving clear instructions.
- Tread water for 2 minutes, then perform 50 metres survival backstroke.
- Time trials: 25 metres freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke or butterfly.
- Be a member of BGS Swim Team
- Perform 200 metres freestyle from a dive, using dolphin kick prior to swimming.
- Perform 200 metres backstroke from a backstroke start, using dolphin kick prior to swimming, staying on the back the entire time.
- Perform 100 metres breaststroke from a dive, using breaststroke turns and pullouts underwater.
- Perform 25 metres butterfly from a dive using turns and dolphin kick prior to swimming.
- Perform 100 metres individual medley from a dive with proper turns and relevant underwaters for each stroke.
- Tread water for 3 minutes, then perform 100 metres survival backstroke.
- Respond successfully to a water safety scenario involving multiple rescues.
- Time trials: 50 metres freestyle & backstroke and 25 metres breaststroke & butterfly.
- Be a member of BGS Swim Team
Lifesaving is integrated into our programs. The knowledge and skills in the program are designed to keep the individual safe as well as being aware of the safety of others. Elements of the lifesaving program come from Royal Lifesaving Australia’s Swim and Survive Program.
The Junior School Program follows the same guidelines as our beginner and intermediate levels. This way, there is a clear transfer of skills between the school program and the Learn to Swim program.
In the Secondary School Program, students learn and analyse technique and we also put into place training programs to improve performance.
Holiday Programs are an intense reflection of our overall programs. They are based on one lesson each day for a week. This approach is particularly effective for repetitive skill-based learning. We recommend these programs particularly for beginner and intermediate levels.
BGS Swim staff bring years of experience and knowledge to our program, with a focus on quality. Teachers across all levels are qualified through Swim Australia and AUSTSWIM. All of our teachers know that the positive effect that they have on swimmers can be the reason for competitive success in the future, for both the individual as well as Brighton Grammar.
How do I enquire to join classes at BGS Swim?
Please complete our Online Enquiry Form and a member of our team will be in contact.
What is the cost of swimming lessons?
- Levels 1 -3 $200/term
- Level 4 -5 1/week $270/term OR 2/week $400/term
Fees are payable in advance before the term commences.
What are the term dates for 2021?
- Term 1: Monday 1 February – Thursday 1 April
- Term 2: Monday 19 April – Friday 18 June
- Term 3: Monday 12 July – Friday 17 September
- Term 4: Monday 4 October – Friday 10 December
Do you offer school holiday program?
Yes, we run 3 school holiday programs throughout the year in June, September and January.
Do you have private lessons?
Private lessons will be launched in Term 2, please enquire with our team for more information.
What does my child need to bring to a lesson?
Goggles are compulsory and swimming caps are highly recommended. BGS Swim will provide other equipment that is required for your child’s lesson. Do not forget to pack a towel.
Can I sign up midterm?
Enrolments are accepted throughout the tern and term fees are pro-rated.
How can my child join squad?
Please email BGS Head Swim Coach Gus Barnes for details of our Swimming Club and Squad program.
How can I book a make-up lesson?
We understand that sometimes your child will miss a lesson due to illness. If this happens, you may qualify for a make-up lesson. To qualify, please observe the following:
- Notice must be given at least 3 hours prior to the scheduled class start time.
- Make-up classes are processed through our online customer portal, using your unique log-in details.
- We will do our best to find a suitable and convenient spot for your child’s make-up lesson
BGS Swim – Refund Policy
Cancellation by the School
In circumstances where lessons are required to be cancelled by BGS, make-up lessons will be offered on an individual basis in most cases. These can be booked by families through the Simply Swim Customer Portal.
If make-up lessons are not available within 30 days, a credit will be applied against the family’s account.
Cancellation by the Family
If a lesson is missed due to illness or personal reasons, notice must be given at least 3 hours prior to the scheduled class start time, through the Simply Swim Customer Portal. If the School is not notified within this timeframe, the lesson will be forfeited.
Make-up lessons will be offered through the Simply Swim Customer Portal and should be used within the term. Make-up lessons cannot be exchanged for cash refunds or future credits.
Refunds will only be offered under exceptional circumstances. All requests must be made in writing to BGS Swim.
A $10 administration fee will be charged for all refunds.
How big is the pool?
Our pool has 6 lanes and is a 25m pool, with a 1.25m shallow end and the deep end is 2.70m. It’s a recently refurbished indoor aquatic centre with the water temperature appropriately set to 30 degrees for our Learn to Swim and Swim Club Squad programs. 1.25m and the deep end is 2.70m!
- Other questions?